[EXIM] drop back to lower MX

Author: Roger Books
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] drop back to lower MX
I just had an odd case.

On of the groups I deliver for were sending mail to a spot that
had multiple MX records

fl-arng.ngb.army.mil    preference = 10, mail exchanger =rcas-emh1.ngb.army.mil
fl-arng.ngb.army.mil    preference = 20, mail exchanger = ngb-arng.ngb.army.mil
fl-arng.ngb.army.mil    preference = 0, mail exchanger = fl-arng.ngb.army.mil

The connection to fl-arng.ngb.army.mil, which was pref 0 died. exim started
attempting to deliver to rcas-emh1, as it should. This server was not
set up to accept mail for the person it was being sent to so it came back
with an unknown user.

All well and good, we now have the connection to fl-arng.ngb.army.mil back
up. However, exim still wants to deliver to the pref 10 mail server.
I killed the exim process and restarted it, but it still won't go to the
pref 0 server.

I am having them remove the extra MX records as if it refuses their
mail it is rather pointless, however, I would really like to know how
you can force exim to drop back to the preferred mail exchanger.

Roger