Re: [EXIM] Batched smtp

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Stefan Walder
CC: exim-mailinglist
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Batched smtp
On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Stefan Walder wrote:

> Yes this is the problem, but what can I do to say exim don't stop at a
> wrong header? At a normal smtp-delivery it works.

There is no way to change this without modifying the code of Exim. What
do you want Exim to do? Throw away the bad line and look for more
headers? That doesn't seem a very sensible approach. The right thing to
do is to get the system that is sending these malformed messages fixed,
since it is clearly very broken. There may well be MTAs out there that
refuse to handle such messages at all.

The broken lines are

        id m0w4AOx-0010OeC
        (Debian Smail-3.2 1996-Jul-4 #2); Mon, 10 Mar 1997 20:06:27 +0100
(MET)

which suggests that it was a version of Smail that generated the bad
lines. The "Received" text generated by Smail is configurable. Could it
be that somebody has made a mistake in the configuration of that MTA?