Re: [EXIM] Does Exim verify sender when relaying ?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Does Exim verify sender when relaying ?
On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:

> I have the following lines in the MAIN CONFIGURATION SETTINGS of my
> secondary mailhost (ie the machine has an MX record for the domain,
> but not the lowest preference):
>
> -----------------
> relay_domains =
> relay_domains_include_local_mx
>
> sender_verify = true
> sender_verify_fixup = false
> -----------------
>
> Both mailhosts are using the same nameserver, but I regularly find that
> spam has been accepted by the secondary, which cannot then pass it on to
> the primary, with the following errors:
>
> On the secondary:
> 1998-01-19 11:36:13 R.Wagner@???: remote_smtp transport
> deferred: SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data: host
> emu.dpmms.cam.ac.uk [131.111.24.1]: 451 rejected: temporarily unable to
> verify sender address (try again later) <10271320@???>
>

> On the primary:
> 1998-01-19 11:30:56 0xuFPs-0005yd-00 rejected from owl.dpmms.cam.ac.uk
> [131.111.24.25] (exim): temporarily unable to verify sender address (try
> again later) <10271320@???>
>
> Thus the question: does exim verify sender before relaying mail,
> or just when delivering it ?

sender_verify applies to all incoming SMTP mail. That looks as if
moneymakers.com was a valid domain when the mail came into the
secondary, but when the primary tried to look it up in the DNS, it
failed (temporarily). There seem to have been an awful lot of DNS
glitches in the last week or so. Currently it is not available:

-------- Nameserver NS.DIGIWEB.COM --------
Nameserver NS.DIGIWEB.COM not responding
moneymakers.com MX record not found at NS.DIGIWEB.COM, try again
-------- Nameserver NS2.DIGIWEB.COM --------
moneymakers.com MX record not found at NS2.DIGIWEB.COM, try again