Re: [EXIM] exim (mini)HOWTO available ?

Author: Sherwood Botsford
To: Tom
CC: Michel Vanaken, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] exim (mini)HOWTO available ?
On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Tom wrote:

=
= On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Michel Vanaken wrote:
=
= > Well, IMHO, the default configuration file is a good start. It's very
= > well commented.
= >
= > It just lacks an example of a smartuser configuration (many mailers are
= > used on a firewall to relay mail to an internal mail host).
= >
= > And, maybe, for the very beginners, a little file explaining what
= > transports, directors, and routers are.
=
= What's wrong with the manual, chapter 3? Chapter 3 is only 4 pages and
= explains this. I really don't see the failure of duplicating stuff
= outside the manual. If you can't spend 5 minutes get oriented with the
= manual (there is a table of contents), you are going to have a lot of
= problems.
=
= > Then, as I think people come to Exim for its anti-spam capabilities, a
= > file with just the options related to that topic (could be present in
= > the default configuration file too).
=
= Chapter 40 (Policy Controls).
=

All fine and dandy. But it's hard to see how all the pieces fit
together. E.g. Chapter 10 has all the configuration options
in alphabetical order. This is great for reference when you want
to check the syntax of a known option. It's the pits when you wnat
to find out how to do things.

I wouldn't mind seeing a recipe collection -- configurations that
people use to solve specific problems. For me, in addition to
an explanation, a couple examples go a long way.

Sherwood Botsford     | email avatar@???
Sorcerers Apprentice    | Office CAB 642B
System Administrator    | Tel: 403 492 5728
Trouble shooter            | Fax: 403 492 6826