Re: [EXIM] dbm versus linear search.

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Daniel Ryde
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] dbm versus linear search.
On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Daniel Ryde wrote:

> At which point is it more effective to use dbm instead of linear search?

Very hard to say. It must depend on your system and DBM library.

> How efficient is the handling when doing two lookups in the same "run",
> like in virtual hosts (does it open the file and reread it twize?):

Exim does do some caching by holding files open and remembering the last
thing it looked up. If you run it with -d9 you will see comments about
caching in the debug output.

> I have another problem in a virtual host enviroment. Usually we setup a
> A mail.domain.se that also works as MX domain.se. But if some user
> mail to foo@???, it freezes becouse it points back to a local
> IP address (we usually have www, ftp and hub to the same IP aswell).
> Ahem... How do I prevent that using the best possible way :)
> They do point to the machine, but I don't want them there.
> Some kind of configurable rejector... But it should only match
> domains that still "points back to me".

I don't really understand your situation, sorry. Could you give an
example of the DNS records? Have you looked at the "self" generic option
for routers?