Re: [EXIM] domain names

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Chris Thompson
To: Philip Hazel
CC: J.Horne, exim-users
Betreff: Re: [EXIM] domain names
J.Horne> Exim seems to accept recipient addresses of the form 'user@domain' where
J.Horne> domain is just a single name (e.g. I tried it with "cs_fs33" and it worked).
J.Horne> We don't do recipient verification, but have a catch-all relay address for
J.Horne> any domains we don't know about. The relay rejects the messages with unknown
J.Horne> domain. Shouldn't Exim check that there are two parts (at least) to the
J.Horne> domain name in its syntax checks?

P.Hazel> No. Lots of places use single-name abbreviations. All the experts tell
P.Hazel> you this is Bad Practice and Not Recommended and Not Guaranteed and all
P.Hazel> sorts of horrors, but 99.9% of the time it does what you the users want.
P.Hazel> I know that many of our own users use the single names of departments,
P.Hazel> omitting the ".cam.ac.uk" and expect them to work.
P.Hazel>
P.Hazel> Of course, I could provide an option....

RFC 822 certainly allows a DOMAIN to be a single DOMAIN-REF without any ".".

Apart from expansion by the resolver (as controlled by qualify_single,
search_parents, etc. in Exim) and by the MTA itself (widen_domains in Exim)
there is also the possibility that an address like s@tc is already fully
qualified for SMTP. The top-level domain "tc." is... [ahem]... shall we just
say "unusual"... in having MX records for the domain name. And the prefered
one points to a host running Exim, as well...

Chris Thompson               Cambridge University Computing Service,
Email: cet1@???    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
Phone: +44 1223 334715       United Kingdom.