Re: [EXIM] Received-Format not compliant to RFC 822?

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Greg A. Woods
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [EXIM] Received-Format not compliant to RFC 822?
[ On Tue, January 6, 1998 at 09:15:10 (+0000), Philip Hazel wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [EXIM] Received-Format not compliant to RFC 822?
>
> On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > I do:
> >
> >     H=x.y.z (a.b.c.d [1.2.3.4])

> > because that makes more sense with the true IP and PTR result together
> > in the comment and the HELO text always in the "from" parameter.
>
> I see the point of that, but I have reservations because it means that
> an unparenthesized name following H= might or might not be verified. As
> well as being potentially confusing to humans, it also makes it
> difficult for log-scanning programs.

If there's a name inside the comment (and there only will be one if it's
different from the name given in the HELO), then that's the name of the
first PTR returned. I.e. if there's a name in the comment then the
verification failed and only the IP address can really be trusted.

(Unfortunately even the address cannot be trusted now that spammers have
learned to hijack BGP.)

--
                            Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@???>      <robohack!woods>