Re: [EXIM] Rejected HELO

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Rick.Ballard
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Rejected HELO
On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Rick Ballard wrote:

> I am using Exim 1.80.
>
> I am seeing large numbers of the following error in my rejectlog :
>
> 1998-01-03 01:10:58 rejected HELO: syntactically invalid argument(s): (no argume
> nt given)
>
> I have explicitly set "helo_verify=false", so I am unsure why these are being rejected.

RFC 821                                                      August 1982
                                           Simple Mail Transfer Protocol

3.5. OPENING AND CLOSING

      At the time the transmission channel is opened there is an
      exchange to ensure that the hosts are communicating with the hosts
      they think they are.

      The following two commands are used in transmission channel
      opening and closing:

         HELO <SP> <domain> <CRLF>

         QUIT <CRLF>

      In the HELO command the host sending the command identifies
      itself; the command may be interpreted as saying "Hello, I am
      <domain>".

Exim doesn't like it if HELO is not followed by a domain, as per the
RFC. This is nothing to do with whether it validates the domain or not.