[EXIM] A couple of wish-list items - filter files and interm…

Author: Alistair Young
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] A couple of wish-list items - filter files and intermittent connections...

1. There're a couple of minor facilities I'd quite like to have in
filter files - the first would be an extra command allowing you to add
a header to the message being processed, so that for example I could
use something like this in my system filter:

## Is the To: address the same as the From: address?
if $header_from: is $header_to: then
log "message $message_id from $header_from: to $header_to: failed.\n From:
is To: which indicates probable spam.\n-----------------------------------------
-------------------------------------"
header "X-Filter: probable spam detected - from is to"
endif

and then allow the user the option of using my spam-filters in
whatever way he wants - discard, score on the header, whatever. I
could see a couple of other uses for it as well, such as in testing of
new criteria before I have it 'fail' such messages.

The other I'd quite like to see is being able to supply a parameter to
'fail' to include additional text in the generated bounce message -
just on the off-chance that there's a legitimate user at the other
end, so that they'll at least know why their mail was bounced.

2. I run Exim on a couple of machines which are only intermittently
connected to the Internet (dial-up connections), and so I have to have
Exim queue up mail for remote addresses until it is connected, and
then I start a queue run in the connection script.

The problem (or, at least, the inconvenience), is that I have to use
the queue_remote option rather than the queue_smtp, as while the
connection doesn't exist the machine cannot access Internet DNS
services, and so can't do the routing. The catch is, of course, that
without doing the routing previously, all the messages for the same
site end up being delivered down separate connections.

Would it be possible to have (say, as an extra option to -q) the
option to tell Exim to only route all messages on the queue *first*
during the queue run, and then go back and attempt to deliver them
all? Or possibly just a second option to route all messages on the
queue?

Comments?

Alistair

--
Computational Thaumaturge  --  Sysimperator, dominus retis deusque machinarum.
e-mail: avatar-sig@???      WWW: http://www.arkane.demon.co.uk/