Re: [EXIM] Filtering outgoing mail

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Francisco Ruiz
CC: Exim users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Filtering outgoing mail
On Fri, 2 Jan 1998, Francisco Ruiz wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     I'm running exim with just one domain.  I want to get that everybody
> has a mail account on this domain, but at the same time I want just some
> of them to be able to send and receive mail from the Internet.  My idea
> is to have internal mail for everybody, and just some of them would have
> access to internet mail.

>     I would like you to tell me what the best method to filter outgoing
> mail is and if the sender isn't allowed, the message should be returned
> with a warning-error message.

You cannot, of course, stop your users telnetting to SMTP ports on
internet machines, or indeed of building their own private versions of
Exim which send out internet mail. You could stop them using the main
version of exim by building a list of those users who are forbidden to
use internet mail, and having as your first router something like

not_allowed:
driver = domainlist
senders = lsearch;/list/of/not/allowed
route_list = "*"
transport = send_error

together with a transport like this

send_error:
driver = autoreply
to = $sender_address
text = "You are not allowed to send internet mail"
return_message

I think something like that would work. I have not actually tried it.