[EXIM] Verifying mailing lists

Author: John Horne
To: exim-users
Well, we have now gone the full hog and implemented exim 1.80 on our main
mailhub. Not too bad a change over - a couple of DNS problems, a couple of
file server problems, and a couple of exim problems (like underscores in our
file server names! Funny how this is all springing up now, but our old PP
system didn't bother with syntax checks (and personally, Philip, I think
it's a good thing to have)). Anyway, all sorted now and it's working
wonderfully...

...except, we have configured mailing lists of various sorts and found that
exim seems to be trying to verify some lists; in particular those containing
the "senders" director option. We don't verify any recipients, and don't
particularly want to verify the list itself, the use of "senders" and
"require_files" controls who sends/receives the list(s). However, sending to
the list causes an unknown user (the list name itself) message to be
returned. Having (re)read the manual again last night I am still lost with
this. Obviously it must be something I'm missing or in our configuration.
The director for private (closed) lists looks like:

private_list:
  no_expn,
# no_verify,                 ( <== This was included, but causes the problem,
  domains = plymouth.ac.uk,        so it is commented out for the present)
  require_files = TABLES/lists/private/${lc:$local_part},
  senders = lsearch;TABLES/lists/private/${lc:$local_part}:POSTMASTER,
  driver = forwardfile;
  no_check_local_user,
  file = TABLES/lists/private/${lc:$local_part},
  forbid_file,
  forbid_pipe,
  forbid_include,
  forbid_filter_log,
  forbid_reply,
  skip_syntax_errors,
  syntax_errors_to = POSTMASTER,
  owners = exim:root,
  errors_to = POSTMASTER

If I take out the "senders" option it works fine, with/without the
"no_verify". If I change "no_verify" to "no_verify_recipient" I still get an
unknown user message (stating that the list name is unknown). Commenting out
"no_verify", and therefore *enabling* verification, causes no problems, which
seems to be a bit peculiar.

Help, as always, appreciated,

John.

John Horne,                                  E-mail: J.Horne@???
Computing Service,                           Phone : +44 (0) 1752 233911
University of Plymouth, UK.                  Fax   : +44 (0) 1752 233919