FW: [EXIM] Spam relay fighting, help!

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Ring, John C
To: Exim User's List (E-mail)
Betreff: FW: [EXIM] Spam relay fighting, help!
>On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, Ring, John C wrote:
>
>> I'm having a bit of trouble stamping out relaying. I'm using Exim
>> version 1.73 #1 built 12-Dec-1997 09:13:38.
>
>Note that 1.80 was released on December 9th.

I was at 1.61 before upgrading :) If it ain't broke...

>> When I first tested my configuration, all appeared well with my

tests.
>> However, it appears someone's found a trick for Exim, at least with

my
>> current config, to relay email. Apparently, simply putting
>>
>> TO: --.--@switch.com
>>
>> after the DATA statement is causing Exim to actually send messages

with
>> non-local RCPT TO addresses.
>
>That seems odd, since it checks out (and responds to) the incoming RCPT
>TO before it ever sees the DATA statement. Consequently, I think

there's
>>something else going on here.

I thought it was rather odd myself, but that's what appears to be going
on.

>> The relevant lines, I think, from our Exim
>> configure file is:
>>
>> LOCAL_NETS = <list of local networks, firewall network excluded>
>> relay_domains = *switch.com
>> sender_net_accept_relay = LOCAL_NETS
>>
>> Note that the Exim machine sits behind a firewall with will accept

any
>> message, but will simply forward it to the Exim machine for actual
>> sending.
>
>What addresses are getting through? Have you got copies of the headers
>of any of these messages?

Yes, here's a message forwarded to me.

From: aP6LQU3vV@???
aol.com;Mon, 15 Dec 1997 3:15:52 -400 (EDT)
TO: --.--@switch.com
SUBJECT: Are You In Need Of A Lifestyle Change...?

In my testing, before I wrote this message, I tried to send a message to
this list manually from our firewall. From my logs, Exim did block it.
However, after I send this message, I'll do the same thing, but add the
TO: --.--@switch.com in the DATA section, and see if it reaches the
list.