Re: [EXIM] bad address

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: Neal Becker, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] bad address
On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> Now I have a remote host complaining because it is getting
>    "fred.bloggs"@???
> which started life as
>    fred.bloggs@???

Sigh. Should it complain? My current understanding of RFC822 is that
"fred.bloggs" is just another way of encoding fred.bloggs as a local
part. However, I have been confused by all of this. The change made in
1.80 was done because someone complained that Exim didn't treat "fred"
the same as fred.

The *syntax* (baroque though it is) is clear enough in RFC822, but it
isn't always very clear on the semantics.