[EXIM] Exim NT-exchange routing without really rewriting

Author: Bruno.Vuillemin
To: exim-users
CC: postmaster, robert.matathia
Subject: [EXIM] Exim NT-exchange routing without really rewriting
Hello

I am the postmaster@??? and Exim has been our central mail gateway
since the 28th nov.
There are still some problems to be fixed ... but it runs.
(I should configure it so that it has the same "security" as PP had)

Hmmm it's probably a good idea to have a non-proportionnal font to
read the rest of this mail ! I thought that schemes would be easier
to understand than my English :-)

Today's problem :
-----------------
Now I must find a solution to allow Exim to deliver mail to NT-Exchange.
SMTP will be used.

Simplified global view :
------------------------
                        ^
Rest of the Internet    |

    ------------------[Exim]---------------------
                        ^
unifr.ch                |
                  +-----+-----+
                  |           |
                  |           |
                  v           v
                [VMS]      [NT-exchange]
(user mail box servers)    (user mail box servers)

3 possibilities :
-----------------

a/ To do like for VMS :

     Bruno.Vuillemin@??? (FirstName.LastName@???,
                |               official address , external)
              [Exim]
                ^

     vuillemib@??? (username@???)

             [NT-exchange]

I know that's ok, but the NT-sysadm doesn't want that.
He wants the users to have their own official addresses in their
Microsoft MUAs.

b/ What the NT-sysadm wants

      Bruno.Vuillemin@??? (FirstName.LastName@???,
                |               official address)
              [Exim]
                ^

new-> Bruno.Vuillemin@??? (FirstName.LastName@???,
                |               official address)
             [NT-exchange]

Exim knows every defined address and rewrites them into the same...
Now the question is ... Is that possible ?

b1/ Can Exim forward mail this way ?

   b2/ Can Exim accept such mail and relay it ?
       This should be easier.

c/ Compromise

But neither the NT-sysadm neither I are enthousiastic.

      Bruno.Vuillemin@??? (FirstName.LastName@???,
                |               official address)
              [Exim]
                ^

new-> Bruno.Vuillemin@???

             [NT-exchange]

   Pros : NT users wouldn't see their real email address in their mailbox
          but something very close (for NT-sysadm)
          Should be routable by Exim (incoming and outcoming mail)
          (for my-self)

   Cons : NT users wouldn't see their official address in their mailbox.
          (for NT-sysadm)
          A special case of rewriting would have to be done for this
          computers (for my-self)

Thanks for your comments

Bruno Vuillemin (as postmaster@???)
Bruno.Vuillemin@???          {post/ftp/cache/news/unix}master@???
Service Informatique              tel (0(041)26)300.7206
Universite de Fribourg            fax (0(041)26)300.9704
{Schweiz/Suisse/Svizzera/Svizra/  Switzerland}