Re: [EXIM] archiving

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Christopher Petro
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] archiving
On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, Christopher Petro wrote:

> what is the best/most efficient way of archiving all mail going through
> the system?
>
> ideally I would like to archive the mail by the local user that it was
> sent to or from.

A system filter file containing

unseen save /some/directory/$sender_address

would save it by sender, though that wouldn't be quite enough because
the sender can be empty in the case of an error message. You can't
archive by the user it was sent to in this way, since a message can be
sent to many users.

If you want to preserve the envelope information, one way of doing it
would be to save each message in bsmtp format.