Re: [EXIM] Exim wishlist: tar-baby / RBL / SPAM

Author: Tom
To: Kuyper Hoffman
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Exim wishlist: tar-baby / RBL / SPAM

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Kuyper Hoffman wrote:

> > > Anyone else have any thoughts?
> >
> > Yes, a dbm based system with two databases, "from", and "to". Upon
> > receiving a valid SMTP "rcpt to", a counter in the "from" database is
> > incremented for the sender address, and a counter in the "to" database is
> > incremented for the recipient address.
> >
> > This means the "from" database will contain the number different
> > addresses a sender has sent to, and the "to" database will contain the
> > number of different messages a recipient has received.
> >
> > If the counters in either database exceed a certain limit, return a
> > temporary error. Use a nice high limit that only a DoS would hit (5000
> > should be fine for most sites).
> >
> > Simply delete the "from" and "to" databases once a day to reset the
> > counters.
>
> I think we're all keen to hear what poor Philip has to say about all
> these alleged new features? :-)

Alleged new features? Naw... suggestion maybe...

I think Exim should implement a call-out API so this kind of stuff can
be left out of the core system. Kinda like Exim calls smtp_mail_from()
after it receives a "mail from" command, and the user can supply a
smtp_mail_from() written in users favourite language. See the INN callout
API system for perl and tcl, for an example.

> --
> / Kuyper Hoffman            / Vox:+27.21.658.8718 O/H GMT+0200 /
> \ Kuyper@???        \
> /___________________________/ FAX:+27.21.683.4695 24h FAX      /
> \ SysAdmin Manager  UUNET Internet Africa         PO Box 44633 \
> / http://kave.iafrica.com/kuyper   Claremont 7735 South Africa /

Tom