Re: [EXIM] File locking and mailtool

Author: Karsten Thygesen
To: Dom Mitchell
CC: Andrew V. Kovalev, R.Gilbert, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] File locking and mailtool

Dom> On 27 November 1997, "Andrew V. Kovalev" proclaimed:
>> Dom Mitchell wrote:
>> >
>> > Perhaps a script for mailtool that moves the mail to a temporary
>> > file, works on that with mailtool and then puts the result back?
>> >

>> No way. Users just start mailtool when they log in and never quit
>> it.

Dom> So, move mailtool to mailtool.bin and then make your script
Dom> "mailtoool". They'll pick it up automatically the next time that
Dom> they log in.

Wont work - many of my users is logged in for days or weeks at the
time (personal workstations). Currently, we do nothing about the
problem, but try to educated them to close it down using the "done"
button instead of iconifying the window. If mailtool it closed down
this way, it will release the lock (as documented). In only two weeks,
then problem has moved away - once people find out, that they missed
an important mail, they will remember to close it down the right way
next time!

We recommend our users to migrate to Netscape or Pine - both are
superior programs and both can use the IMAP facility.

Best,
Karsten