Re: [EXIM] Mail to host's literal IP

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John Horne
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Mail to host's literal IP
On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, John Horne wrote:

> However, and this is getting a bit finicky I guess, how does exim determine
> whether 19.43.67.163 is a domain or an IP address when used, for example, in
> a host list (sender_reject_hosts for example (manual page 33))? It could be
> either couldn't it?

Blush.

I went to edit that portion of the manual just after writing my previous
message and had the same horrible thought. You are quite right. I have
screwed it up.

In mitigation, I *think* I just copied this from Smail, and also, of
course, from many programs such as ping and telnet where you can
give an unadorned IP address as an alternative to a host name. I don't
think they go away and do a host name lookup just in case.

This problem will go away when we are fully converted to IPv6, because
IPv6 addresses contain colons. So I suppose I can say "fixed in version
n, sometime next century"... :-)