Re: [EXIM] RBL

Author: George Bonser
To: Evan Leibovitch
CC: Greg A. Woods, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] RBL
On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> It's all fine-sounding righteousness to bitch and moan about unwanted
> commercial intrusions, but broadcast ads help pay for content on the
> airwaves, and printed junk-flyer delivery often helps subsidize the costs
> of regular mail. While I agree that the current nature of spamming is
> unacceptable, I attribute part of this to the web's immaturity as a social
> phenominon.

I see spamming as akin to jamming a TV signal to get your pirate ad on
people's TV screens. This would be annoying and in no way contributes to
the sponsorship of the programming. Things like banner ads and mailing
list sigs CAN sponsor sites and contribute to the continuation of a
desired information stream. Spam is just so much techno-clutter. It is a
crime to jam the airways with your ads, it is a crime to inject ads onto
fax machines (in the US), and it should be a crime to force ads onto your
computer equipment. Until it is, measures need to be taken to filter them
out. I am in favor of this. What I am not in favor of is other
individuals making blanket decisions for me about what I should and
should not filter.

George Bonser
Debian/GNU Linux See http://www.debian.org
Linux ... It isn't just for breakfast anymore!