Re: [EXIM] Partial domains and relaying controls

Author: Tony Earnshaw
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Partial domains and relaying controls
Philip Hazel wrote:

> > When will we be getting imap, Philip?

> I don't understand the question! Are we talking about the same thing?

PC Webopaedia definition:

"Short for Internet Message Access Protocol, a protocol for retrieving
e-mail messages. The latest version, IMAP4, is similar to POP3 but
supports some additional features. For example, with IMAP4, you can
search through your e-mail messages for keywords while the messages are
still on mail server. You can then choose which messages to download to
your machine. Like POP, IMAP uses SMTP for communication between the
e-mail client and server."

> If
> you mean IMAP, that is something quite unrelated to Exim, at least as I
> know it, since IMAP provides a means of remotely accessing
> already-delivered mail.

O.k. I believe I can see what you're getting at. MMDF would have had its
own POP3 server (apart from SCO's bundeld one) and Netscape Mail Server
would have had its own POP3 and IMAP servers. This figures, since when
I'd knocked off both MMDF and Netscape and installed Exim, I couldn't
access mail any more from the mail clients 'til I unremarked SCO's
popper in inetd.conf and rebooted the machine to multiuser run state.

> Lots of people (including ourselves) are using
> Exim to deliver mail on systems where it is then read using IMAP.
> There are also a few people using the Cyrus package with Exim for this
> purpose.

I'll take a look at it, thanks.

Tony

--