Re: [EXIM] Exim rejecting @host.dom.net:user@dom.net?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Dan Birchall
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Exim rejecting @host.dom.net:user@dom.net?
On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, Dan Birchall wrote:

> A fellow I know tried to e-mail me this weekend, and ran into
> some difficulties. The applicable mainlog lines are:
>
> 1997-11-10 08:35:28 0xUtzz-00064W-00 rejected from psigw.pencomsi.com
> [204.217.198.9]: cannot route to sender
> <@china.pencom.com:xxxxxx@???>

> My suspicion at this point is that
> Exim tries to look up china.pencom.com and fails, since there
> appear to be *no* DNS entries for it at all, even when I
> query Pencom's own nameserver (tao.pencom.com).

Correct. It is not in any of the nameservers for pencom.com.

> So... do I bug Pencom to modify their setup? Or can I get
> Exim to handle this, without simultaneously letting in all
> manner of bogus addresses? :)

They shouldn't be sending out addresses that don't exist, so you have
every right to bug them. Alternatively, you can set

collapse_source_routes

which causes Exim to take the advice of RFC 1123 (I think) and turn

<@china.pencom.com:xxxxxx@???>

into <xxxxxx@???> when it parses it. Source routing of this type
is more or less deprecated these days, though one still sees quite a lot
of it.