Re: [EXIM] Do we really have to suffer through redundant inf…

Author: Greg A. Woods
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Do we really have to suffer through redundant info violating our subject lines? I really have to suffer through redundant info violating our subject lines? I really dete
[ On Fri, November 7, 1997 at 12:01:20 (-0500), Greg A. Woods wrote: ]

> Do we really have to suffer through redundant info violating our subject
> lines? I really detest this invasion. Putting "Re: " into the subject
> lines of replies automatically is bad enough (in fact of the fact that
> there are generally two other headers to identify a message as a reply).

Ah ha! I thought so! The regex stripper in the mailing list that trys
to do this has obviously overlooked at least one special case. (Hint:
the original subject line and the body were identical in the message I
sent to the list.)

The other significant problem (i.e. other than the bad esthetics and
inelegance of it all) of course is that if I make a private reply but
fail to edit out the redundant junk from the subject line then somone
who falsely assumes this indicates a message from the list will possibly
file my reply off into obvlivion.

PLEASE let's use the information already in the headers to indicate the
source of a message. Effort would be much better spent on helping
people do this and trying to standardise it as best as possible.

--
                            Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@???>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods@???>; Secrets of the Weird <woods@???>