Re: Caseless searching

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John Brooks
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: Caseless searching
On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, John Brooks wrote:

> I've tried several versions of the the rewriting rule but none worked:
>
> *@*.mmu.ac.uk ${lookup${$0}dbm{/local/etc/exim/aliases}{$value}fail} Fh
>
> is the working (case sensitive) version,

Are you sure? That bit "${$0}" looks odd; it should be "{$0}".

> and what I've tried for caseless
> matching are:
>
> *@*.mmu.ac.uk ${lookup${lc:$0}dbm{/local/etc/exim/aliases}{$value}fail} Fh

You need

*@*.mmu.ac.uk ${lookup{${lc:$0}}dbm{/local/etc/exim/aliases}{$value}fail} Fh

The first thing after "lookup" is the key, enclosed in braces. So in
this case the key is "${lc:$0}" which is the lower casing operator
applied to the string obtained by expansing $0. Does that make sense?