Re: # not in first column in many source headers

Author: Greg A. Woods
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: # not in first column in many source headers
[ On Wed, October 29, 1997 at 11:23:43 (+0000), Philip Hazel wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: # not in first column in many source headers
>
> On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Scotty Logan wrote:
>
> > What's wrong with
> >
> > % find . -name '*.[ch]'|xargs perl -pi.bak -e 's/^( +)#/#$1/'
>
> It makes nicely indented pre-processor directives look untidy (IMHO) :-)

Even though the so-called standard allows for the indentation to come
before the control character I would claim this form is very alien to
almost all Unix programmers.

My brain's pre-processor really likes to see CPP control characters at
the beginning of the line to trigger the mode switch, and of course the
indentation (hopefully in units of single spaces) after the control
character can be used to visually imply structure to further make my
brain tweak as to what's going on.

Don't mind me though -- I've just been reading Knuth again....

(I still don't know if I like the freedom to use whitespace to imply
structure that may or may not be there, or if I'd rather the whitespace
that I can't directly see to actually define the block structure....)

--
                            Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@???>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods@???>; Secrets of the Weird <woods@???>