Re: Wildcard in aliasfile?

Author: Daniel Ryde
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: Wildcard in aliasfile?
On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, Philip Hazel wrote:
> Indeed. That is quite deliberate and the same way that smail works; I
> don't know about other MTAs. Exim doesn't do duplicate deliveries to
> identical addresses, except in the very special case that the "address"
> is a pipe command. (This is so that if two different recipients are both
> piping their mail to, say, /usr/bin/vacation, it gets run for each of
> them.)

Yes, this seems to be the only usable approach to handle virtual domains
in smail, to pipe to another smail which uses diffrent configuration
files. This gave this "feature" too.

> What do people feel about this? If, say, hostmaster and postmaster point
> to the same address and somebody mails to "hostmaster,postmaster", do
> you expect to get one or two copies of the message?

No no, NO! :)
This should not be the default behaviour.

> But is it really going to help you? Surely what you want is a list of
> *those recipients that have resolved to this transport* rather than all
> recipients of the message?

Ouch!. Ok, hmm I thought it did that...

> A number of people seem to have this requirement, for packing up a
> message and doing other things with it, for a number of recipients, and
> without using BSMTP. I am not entirely convinced that using an alias is
> the right way to handle this, because it is really a mail routing
> problem, but I can see the attraction of having the information for a
> virtual domain all there in a single file.

Yes, definatley... My hair growth is very dependent on that. ;)
And I almost had the solution in my hands, but it slipped away.
The problem is that I want to go all way down to single emailaddresses,
not nesesserily generic routing.

> Hmm. I wonder if a scheme could be worked out whereby you specified that
> if an address did not match an alias file, it was sent to a specific
> transport. Then several different ones would not get merged. This should
> be easy to do; at present if there is a transport setting on aliasfile,
> it ignores the data and sends anything that matches the file to the
> transport. A new option such as "no_match_transport" could be added to
> handle non-matching addresses. Of course, you would want to turn off the
> wildcard in this case.

Hmm, trying to understand what you meen. Ok, this could be used for the
"catch the rest". But it does'nt give this ease of direct mail to
others totally diffrent feed/batch/mailaddress. It is quite common that
some other emailaddres to go batched someware else. It can be called a
routing problem but it is hard to handle some single emailaddress and
route them somewere else. Think 500 domians, that configuration would give
me headace for years.

Best Regards

Daniel Ryde, System Administrator
Tripnet AB                Visit Address:      Telephone:  +46 31 7252500
Box 5071                  Avagen 42           Fasicmile:  +46 31 7252501
S-402 22 GOTEBORG         GOTEBORG            Email:      ryde@???
Sweden                    Sweden