sender_*_verify and coping with bad but non spam MTAs...

Author: Alan Thew
To: Exim List
Subject: sender_*_verify and coping with bad but non spam MTAs...
When we set up our first (PP) hub (quite a while ago) we followed the
maxims of RFC 1123 and were very liberal in what we accepted... times
have changed and there are quite a number of sites and senders where we
don't want to accept anything.

The trick seems to be in getting

mail from:<12345@???>

rejected

but not

mail from:<user@badly_configured_mta.com>

where the From: field is valid.

What are people's experiences, especially at large sites where it's not
always possibly just to block anyone or drop mail on the floor, like
Universities....?

Thanks

--
Alan Thew                                       alan.thew@???
Computing Services,University of Liverpool      Fax: +44 151 794-4442