local delivery and recursive aliases

Author: Jim Gottlieb
To: exim-users
Subject: local delivery and recursive aliases
In order to use the same alias file for all hosts, all aliases contain
the host name. For example, even on the machine on which my mail spool
is kept, there is an alias entry of

jimmy: jimmy@???

To avoid the "MX points to local host" problem, I set up a router:

own_domain:
transport = remote_smtp,
driver = domainlist;
route_list = "*.info.com $domain byname";

But this doesn't work when mail needs to be delivered to the local
host. It complains

jimmy@??? cannot be resolved at this time:
remote host address is the local host

I don't want to just match on the local host and pass it to
local_delivery, because this would bypass such things as checking for a
.forward file. So I guess what I need to do is say that if it's the
local host, send it to the directors, but if aliases has already been
checked, don't check it again. The docs say that the aliasfile
director will automatically handle this case, but in my case, there's
another step in between that seems to negate this.

How would I do this?

Thanks.
Full debugging output:
Exim version 1.73 debug level set to 6
probably ndbm
system_aliases director: file = /etc/mail/aliases search type = 48
system_aliases director generated jimmy@???
uid=unset gid=unset home=null
system_aliases director succeeded for jimmy
transport: <none>
lookuphost router called for jimmy@???: dns lookup: route_domain = sinden.info.com
lowest MX record for sinden.info.com points to local host: router failed soft
lookuphost router failed
own_domain router called for jimmy@???: route_domain = sinden.info.com
LOG: 0 MAIN
remote host address for sinden.info.com is the local host
own_domain router: error for sinden.info.com
message: remote host address is the local host