Re: director contingent on random address?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Nigel Metheringham, T. William Wells, Stuart Lynne
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: director contingent on random address?
On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> ie allow a director/router to be selected based on the result of an
> arbitrary expression (we could then, ideally, drop all the special case
> ones since they could be written in terms of the arbitrary version).

You mean have only smartuser? I don't think it's *quite* that simple
because of the various magic things forwardfile and aliasfile actually
do, but I take the general point. However, for simple cases I think it
is nicer to be able to write, for example

domains = a.b.c:d.e.f

rather than

condition = "${if or {eq{$domain}{a.b.c}}{eq{$domain}{d.e.f}}}{true}{false}}"

which would get even more unreadable with lookups. So one would need
some new syntax, I think.

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, T. William Wells wrote:

> Ah hah! It's a smartuser director at the moment. I had recalled
> *something* had been changed that would have done what I wanted
> but I kept looking at smartuser-related options and so didn't see
> it....

Sounds like you've seen it now?

On 16 Oct 1997, Stuart Lynne wrote:

> On the router side unfortunately there are limited options for doing
> this type of lookup. Iplookup will translate one address to exactly
> one new address. I havn't been able to make queryprogram give me
> the results I want (simulate forward file).

I noted a requirement some time ago to make iplookup return more than
one address. However, a little thought showed this to be major surgery,
since routers are not set up to handle the splitting of one address into
multiple addresses. It is the directors that do that. Consequently, I
changed the item on my list to "think about an iplookup director".

I do, however, like the nice idea of feeding everything to a lookuphost
first and using the "self" option as a way of detecting local domains.
Perhaps what is needed is saying "self = directors", i.e. if lookuphost
finds MX->self, then throw the address to the directors. We almost have
that with the "self = local" option. In fact, I already have an item on
the wish list that says "permit a router to inject an address into the
director chain even if the domain isn't in local_domains". I think this
might make it possible to do what you want fairly simply.