Verifying recipient address

Author: Espen Lyngaas
To: exim-users
Subject: Verifying recipient address
Our support department gets a lot of questions sent via our web server and
very often people incorrect enter their own e-mail address into the form
making it impossible to reply to them with the solution to their problem.

I've been looking at using the -bt and -bv options in an attempt to verify
that users enter a valid e-mail address into an html form.

If I try to verify a definitely undeliverable but correctly syntax'ed
address with the -bt option delivery is simply 'remote'. However, if I enter
the same address into my Eudora which in turn delivers it to Exim, Eudora
says that the address is not accepted by my SMTP server.

Is there a way to test delivery without actually doing the delivery?
It's hard to be humble when you're Norwegian!

Espen Lyngaas, Network Manager, Team17 Software Ltd.
Phone: +44-1924-267776    http://www.team17.com/~elyngaas/
Cellular: +44-468-687362  Espen.Lyngaas@???