Re: help

Author: Nick Waterman
Subject: Re: help
Philip Hazel said:
> > Philip, any chance of making exim accept input for the -M options
> > on the std input? I don't know how xargs will execute this
> > but we usually recurse through a list, making it very inefficent
> > by starting up the exim binary say, 1000 times.

[blah]
> In the meantime, you could write a program or script to call Exim with
> say 100 ids on a command line, thus reducing your 1000 start-ups to 10.

umm... that's what xargs does!

man xargs:
XARGS(1V)                USER COMMANDS                  XARGS(1V)

NAME
     xargs - construct the arguments list(s) and execute  a  com-
     mand

[blah]
DESCRIPTION
     xargs combines the fixed  initial-arguments  with  arguments
     read  from the standard input, to execute the specified com-
     mand one or more times.  The number of  arguments  read  for
     each  command  invocation,  and the manner in which they are
     combined are determined by the options specified.

By default, "xargs exim -blah < list" will take IDs from the file "list"
and combine them into exim commands up to 470 chars long, which is about
26 message-IDs per invocation of exim. You could try going for 100 if
you wanted, but you'd probably exceed some OS limit or other.

--
Nick Waterman, Network Manager, Cimio Ltd.
nick@??? nick@??? G7RZQ @ GB7DEO.#32.GBR.EU