[ADMINISTRIVIA] Mailing list filters

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: exim-users

Just to remind people....

The mail list is set up so you can only send messages to it if you are
subscribed to the list. The matching of sender addresses to list address
is a little literal, so playing games with your mail address is rather
counterproductive.

In particular, many people explicitly subscribe a pretty form of address
(ie Fred.Bloggs@someplace) but their mailer just stamps outgoing headers
with "fred@somwhere" - and this mail gets caught by the MLM.

Also some places give people different email address depending on which
machine they are using at this moment, which way the wind is blowing
etc... (silly idea!). Again if you are subscribed as
"fred@???" and send mail to the list from
"fred@???", then it won't get through.

I can add people to the accept list, and frequently do when theses
problems are seen, but that needs intervention from me... and sometimes
I'm not around.

If the MLM does reject your mail, it silently passes it to me, so if your
post disappears, that is probably why!

    Nigel.

--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@???   -  Systems Software Engineer ]
[ Tel : +44 113 251 6012                   Fax : +44 113 224 0003 ]