Re: Cannot deliver local mail to root

Author: Dom Mitchell
To: Mike Zanker
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: Cannot deliver local mail to root
On 13 October 1997, Mike Zanker proclaimed:
> I'm running exim 1.73 under Red Hat Linux 4.2 on a Sparc 5. Mail delivery
> to local users works fine except to root which causes the following error
> message:
>
> (13): Permission denied: creating lock file hitching post
> /var/spool/mail/root.lock.aire.open.ac.uk.3441cc57.00001ad6

If you've copied the standard configure file, then you'll probably
have "never_users=root" in it, which would certainly prevent this sort
of thing from happening.

In general, I would reccomend against delivering to root anyway, use
an alias to send it to your own mailbox. Then you can use exim's
filtering capability to seperate it out into a different folder.

-Dom