Re: appendfile error & Re: eximon and the smtp transport

Author: Andy Mell
To: Chris Thompson, exim-users
Subject: Re: appendfile error & Re: eximon and the smtp transport
--On 11 October 1997, 13:04 +0100 "Chris Thompson" <cet1@???>
wrote:

> Andy Mell <amell@???> writes:

>> appendfile transport process returned a non-zero status
>> (0x000b)

> Isn't it self-evident that these two-byte status codes are those

returned
> by wait(2) and relatives for a completed process; i.e. one byte of

exit()
> code and one byte of flags + signal number?

Not really... Some of us dont program or dont have time to program, it is
years
since I programmed with unix libraries. exim needs to be usable by the
non-programmer. I hope you are just being sarcastic.

> Of course, this doesn't get one much further without more diagnosis of

the
> failing processes. At least in John Horne's example it seems to have

made
> a "core" file somewhere (indicated by the 0x0080 bit).

And what do you propose to track this problem further? Of course, it would
be nice and easy if there was a core file for me to analyse, but there
isnt.
Running exim 1.71 under unpatched solaris 2.5 by the way. The inetd
process
died at the same time as this happened, which makes me think its an OS
problem.

Andy