Re: quoting bug

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Tom
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: quoting bug
On Fri, 10 Oct 1997, Tom wrote:

> Some MTAs (ex. Zmailer) attempt strict RFC821 checking. Telnet to
> nic.funet.fi, port 25 and try a "rcpt to:<someguy.@nic.funet.fi>". It
> does an immediate rejection. Another related point: Exim seems to have a
> problem with the multi-line 501 response to "rcpt to" and interprets it as
> a timeout problem and retries the message later. I haven't fully
> investiagated this yet.

It has no problem with 2 lines, at least. This is what I got when I
tried:

A message that you sent could not be delivered to all of its recipients. The
following address(es) failed:

  ph10@cus:
    SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:
    <ph10@???>:
    host ursa.cus.cam.ac.uk [131.111.8.6]:
    501-this is line1
    501 this is line 2