eximon and the smtp transport

Author: John Horne
To: exim-users
Subject: eximon and the smtp transport
Well, we had the go ahead to test the mailing list part of exim with a
message to 1500 or so users. We thought it'd be a good test.

All started okay and exim delivered the messages really fast! However, two
things then happened. 1) Messages started to freeze with the error "smtp
transport process returned a non-zero status (0x008b)", and secondly eximon
competely blew out with the error "X error of failed request: BadLength (poly
request too large or internal Xlib length error). Major opcode of failed
request: 108 (X_GetScreenSaver). Serial number of failed request: 16715.
Current serial number in output stream: 35404".

So, first of all any ideas what the 008b status from the stmp transport is?

Secondly, eximon seems to have trouble when there is a lot of output
happening. The window was trying to keep up with the output but I guess
failed. I was running this from a remote PC with X-window software, but when I
thawed the message and sent it from the system console with eximon, that
worked okay (didn't blow out).

As a final question does exim "remember" which addresses in a mailing list it
has sent the message to and only retry the ones that failed? I seem to
remember reading that it did, rather than just blasting the message out to
everyone again, but can't remember where I read it.

As usual, our main mailhub is also having problems (but that's PP for
you...), and its Friday, and I'm on half-day (:-) )....

John.