Re: A few problems

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Tom
A: Greg A. Woods
Cc: Jay Denebeim, exim-users
Asunto: Re: A few problems

On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> [ On Fri, October 3, 1997 at 18:18:56 (-0700), tom@??? wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: A few problems
> >
> > On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Jay Denebeim wrote:
> >
> > > 3) The postmaster of the 'from' site of the spam.
> > >
> > > #3 is in case they want to go after the spammer for defamation or
> > > whatever.
> >
> > Please don't do that either. Be assurred that such a site will deluged
> > with complaints. I've been there. A domain I work for was used on one of
> > those "numbered" spams (random numeric local part). Such sites have been
> > punished enough, and yet another e-mail to "just to let them know" isn't
> > going to accomplish much over to overload their mail resources futher.
>
> That's not a problem in my opinion. Anyone taking on such clients

Taking on such clients? What clients? Whatever clients they or may
not have had is not relevant. The site I mentioned did not
deliver, or originate the spam, but received hordes of incorrect
complaints.

> cannot assure them of immunity to such backlash should be prepared to
> deal with it. Yes there are effective ways to manage such things

I don't understand this either.

So if some small company with a mail server with a 100 mailboxes,
receiving maybe 200 messages a day, connected to the Internet via ISDN,
happens to have their domain name listed in the From: line by some spammer
half-way around the world, and their system is deluged with
incorrect e-mail complaints, it is that company's fault for not having a
bigger mail server and a T1 to handle the complaints?

> without being swamped (it'c alled automation -- something computers are
> really good at). Yes there are effective ways to gain such assurance
> (it's called a client awareness program and can be enforced with a good
> acceptable use policy that becomes a part of the service contract).
>
> I.e. I have no sympathy for your request. You get what you ask for and
> you create the circumstances you must live with.
>
> I most definitely suggest complaining to everyone directly involved with
> incidents of e-mail abuse, and yes I'm prepared to live with the
> consequences of doing so.

I disagree completely. Never contact anyone in the To: and From: fields
because they are most definitely forged, and the spammer will always list
enemies of the spammer (ie. sites that kicked him/her off in the past) in
such header fields. This is infact exactly what happened in the case I
mentioned. The person was kicked off for some problems, and he turns
around an uses the site's domain name in the From: line of a major spam.

> --
>                             Greg A. Woods

> +1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@???>      <robohack!woods>
> Planix, Inc. <woods@???>; Secrets of the Weird <woods@???>