Re: relay questions

Author: Wayne Folta
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: relay questions
>A related area for misunderstanding is what it means to relay mail. My
>naive belief would be that mail passing through my server to another is
>relayed. But exim considers some locally-delivered mail to be relayed.

Somehow, I must've not had my configure file set up as I thought I did when
I last visited this question. I could swear that I had all the proper names
(and wildcarded names) in local_domains, but mail was still rejected as
relayed, even though it was delivered locally.

Evidently I did not have it set up correctly.

As I now understand it, the relay restriction code only knows what machine
is sending the mail, who
it is addressed to, what machines are restricted (accept/reject variables),
and what the local machine is named (local_domains). This upfront code is
ignorant of the actions of directors, routers, rewriting rules, DNS
lookups, etc, which may cause mail to be delivered locally in spite of a
mismatch between local_domains and the recipient address.

So if you use the log file (eximstats) to determine what mail is relayed,
non-relayed mail can be rejected by the relay restriction rules. The log
file can only indicate a relay in the intuitive sense: mail that passed
through this machine on the way to another. But if relay restrictions are
turned on, the same message may be refused up front, where less is known
about its ultimate destination.

Wayne Folta
wayne@???