Re: Locking and concurrency -- system considerations

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Rob Browning
A: rich
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: Locking and concurrency -- system considerations
"Dr. Rich Artym" <rartym@???> writes:

> If there is any doubt at all about compatibility between Exim's
> locking and that native to the host on which it is running then I
> think it would be useful to supply with the Exim package a locking
> wrapper that would guarantee safe and lock-efficient updating of
> shared resources within an Exim environment.

For what it's worth, this issue came up on the Debian/GNU Linux
developers list a while ago, and after hashing out the technical
details of the problem wrt NFS, stale lockfiles, etc. (as far as was
possible) someone stepped up to code the solution. The result was
liblockfile, which Debian is trying to standardize on internally (for
all programs on a Debian system that need to lock files).

The source is available at any Debian mirror i.e.

ftp.debian.org:/debian/dists/unstable/source/liblockfile_0.1-2.dsc
ftp.debian.org:/debian/dists/unstable/source/liblockfile_0.1-2.tar.gz

I don't know if it would be helpful for non-Linux systems, though I
suspect it might. In any case I thought it might be relevant here.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@???>
PGP fingerprint = E8 0E 0D 04 F5 21 A0 94 53 2B 97 F5 D6 4E 39 30