Re: DNS and hostname hiding: my experience FWIW

Author: Tom
To: Wayne Folta
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: DNS and hostname hiding: my experience FWIW

On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Wayne Folta wrote:

> SUMMARY: if you cannot seem to hide the hostname of your mail exchanger on
> outgoing email, it may be because you have an MX record that points to a
> CNAME instead of an A record.

It isn't a really good idea to point MX to CNAMEs anyhow, even though
aol.com does it. Some version of named complain profusely when resolving
such things (use the supplied logging options).

In general, think twice before using a CNAME for anything, as they get
used really incorrectly sometimes, causing really big problems.
Just use additional A records instead.

Tom