Exim 1.73

Author: Philip Hazel
To: exim-users
New-Topics: DNS and hostname hiding: my experience FWIW
Subject: Exim 1.73
I have just put the Exim 1.73 distribution file onto the primary ftp
site. Yes, I do mean 1.73. I had 1.72 just starting to roll down the
release runway after running it a while here, when a couple more bugs
got reported, so I pulled it.

1.73 is a maintenance release. Some bugs have been fixed and some
infelicities tidied up. There is no new function and there are no
changes to the documentation. All changes are listed in doc/ChangeLog,
under 1.72 and 1.73. Please look there if you find that any of the
"tidies" have inadvertently broken something for you. The following are
perhaps the most noteworthy:

. A configuration error is now diagnosed if an IPv4 netmask does not consist
of a sequence of 1s followed by a sequence of 0s (either of which may be of
length 0). For example, a setting such as

sender_host_accept_nets=123.123.444.555/123.123.666.777

is no longer legal. This change was suggested by people on the list, who
argued that this was most likely to be an error rather than a weird
specification.

. There have been occasional problems with different DBM libraries that
have crashed when DBM files have got corrupted. This has never been
fully explained. Exim now catches a SEGV while trying to read from a DBM
file, and carries on processing the message - behaving as if there is no
hint in the file. This at least keeps the mail moving and the sysadmin
from tearing out too much hair. Entries are written in the main and
panic logs.