Re: multiple alias files

Author: Philip Hazel
To: webadmin
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: multiple alias files
On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, webadmin wrote:

> Is there alimit on how many alias file I can have, or can it keep going
> into the ten's of thousands, depending on the operation system etc.

There is no limit to the number of directors you set up. However, since
they are searched in order, having more than a few would make Exim run
extremely slowly. If you have tens of thousands of domains, you want to
do something else.

You can include the domain name in alias files if you set
"include_domain" on an aliasfile director. Then you can have a single
alias file containing entries like

user1@domain1:    newuser1@newdomain1
user2@domain2:    newuser2@newdomain2

and if you made that into a dbm file, it would be efficient, even with a
large number of entries. There are certainly DBM libraries that can cope
with very large files.

> Is it better to have the full email address in the alias file eg
> paul@???:popbox1
>
> or just paul:popbox1

(1) You need to set include_domain if you want the former.

(2) In both cases you have just listed a domain (popbox1) as the result
of the aliasing. This is wrong. The right-hand side must contain a full
email address.