Re: Confusion in getting relay prevention to work

Author: F. Jacot Guillarmod
To: Chris Thompson
CC: Jacot, jhenders, exim-users
Subject: Re: Confusion in getting relay prevention to work
Chris Thompson writes:

> griff.saprep.ecape.school.za
> bberry.alt.za
> chobe.bw
>
> will be forward-looked-up when the exim daemon (-bd) starts. But because there are
> also patterns, reverse lookups will also be done at SMTP session time.

The decision, presumably, is a trade off between setting up (and
maintaining) a possibly lengthy list of FQDNs or getting exim to do a
long winded look up every time it receives a message?

But the problem with eliminating something like "*.ru.ac.za" is that every
Tom, Dick and Sally in sight nowadays is using pop to send mail from their
PC, and it's totally unpredictable who will be using it and from where.
Is there perhaps some more efficient configuration for dealing with this?

Obviously it'd be nice to prevent the humorous rash of forgeries that
crop up about this time of year purporting to be from lecturers to
students and informing them they've done so badly they needn't bother
to write the final exams... but as soon as you allow pop, it seems that
you must allow this capability as well.

> There's already some evidence of confusion on your part here, as bberry.alt.za
> and chobe.bw have no A records in the DNS, only MX records. They aren't hosts
> that might send a message to you.

These two are uucp dialup systems, so no, they won't send a message
in the sense that there will be an smtp connection to or from them,
but they will directly inject messages into the gateway that contain
those domain names as part of the RFC821 headers.

Part of my confusion is whether one specifically has to cater for
permitting such systems to pass mail through (into?) an exim gateway in
any anti-relaying configuration?

Jacot
--
F.F. Jacot Guillarmod - Information Technology - Rhodes University - Grahamstown
      Internet: Jacot@???  Phone: +27 461 318284 Fax: +27 461 27764