Re: And just once more...sender_(net_)reject

Author: Chris Thompson
To: Philip Hazel
CC: J.Horne, exim-users
Subject: Re: And just once more...sender_(net_)reject
JHorne> Banning various users/sites seems to be working fine at the present, but I'm
JHorne> still having problems with the IP addresses. This is fine when used with a
JHorne> netmask and "sender_net_reject_recipients" to reject specific networks, but
JHorne> according to the manual (page 175; Exim 1.70 manual) it states :
JHorne>
JHorne>    "The format of the accept and reject options is a colon seperated list of
JHorne>    entries, each of which is in one of the following formats:
JHorne>       <host name>
JHorne>       <IP address>
JHorne>       .
JHorne>       .
JHorne>       .
JHorne>
JHorne> I can't seem to get the IP address bit to work if I'm using
JHorne> "sender_reject_recipients" -  it just (seemingly) ignores it...which probably
JHorne> means I'm doing it wrong. I assume it's not referring to using IP addresses
JHorne> (with netmasks) for the "sender_net_reject" option(s)?

PHazel> You are using "sender_reject_recipients" when you should be using
PHazel> "sender_host_reject_recipients".

There does seem to be a lot of confusion caused by the different sender_*
parameters, with their varying formats and effects. I think this has a lot to
do with the overloading of the word "sender", to indicate variously the sending
host and the sending RFC 822 address ("envelope sender", a.k.a. "return path").
The fact that "sender_reject" refers to the latter isn't obvious to those
who have not R'dTFM with due diligence. The alphabetical list in section 10
becomes very much not ordered by function, with many cross-references.

Chris Thompson               Cambridge University Computing Service,
Email: cet1@???    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
Phone: +44 1223 334715       United Kingdom.