Re: split

Author: Philip Hazel
To: webadmin
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: split
On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, webadmin wrote:

> Hi
>
> Hows the split into 62 dirs done. i.e whats it based upon.
>
> I mean how does the popper know where to read

This is all explained in the documentation. See under "split_spool_directory".

Oh, wait, I've just seen the word "popper". We are talking about
something completely different.

The "spool directory" that Exim uses is where it stores messages BEFORE
it delivers them. What popper looks at is a directory where the messages
are stored AFTER they have been delivered. Some people call this a
"spool" directory, which is very confusing. It is not a spool directory
to Exim.

Yes, you can configure Exim do deliver wherever you like. We have
systems where user's mail gets delivered into their home directories,
for example. You can split delivery by the first letter of the user's
names by something like

file = /${length_1:$local_part}/$local_part

in the local_delivery director, for example. That would deliver mail for
abcd into /a/abcd and mail for xyz into /x/xyz.