Re: Regexp's behavior

Author: Philip Hazel
To: doka
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: Regexp's behavior
On 24 Sep 1997 doka@??? wrote:

> I'm using exim on node with many uucp links, so I have many letters with bang
> paths in addresses. I'm using rewriting rules for simple two-bang addresses
>
> ^([^!]+)!(.*)@grunt\.vl\.net\.ua    $2@$1

> but this rule don't treat such addresses: [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]!user
> I don't know, what to do :-(

Exim is designed only to handle domain addresses. Many UUCP links have
been operating with domain addresses for a long time.

The rewriting trick for bang paths works only for addresses that are
legal in the first place. The character '[' is a special character in
RFC822 addresses. Consequently, Exim considers an address such as

[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]!user

as a malformed address (because of the []), and it will not accept it.
This is long before any attempt at rewriting happens, so changing the
rewriting rule has no effect.

I don't think there is any way round this in Exim. The only thing I can
think of is to pre-process the mail before feeding it into Exim.