Re: spam control thought

Author: Randall Raemon
To: welty
Subject: Re: spam control thought
In message <199709191945.PAA01021@???>
"Richard Welty" writes:

> it's fairly difficult to keep up with all the new spamming domains
> that are more-or-less continuously created. however, a very large
> subset of the spamming domains have a common set of authoritative
> name servers. it'd pretty nice to be able to set up a list name
> servers, the idea being that any domain name for which the server is
> authoritative is banned:
>
> *.nancynet.com
> *.llv.com
> *.cyberpromo.com
>
> and so forth...

My site does exactly this. The means is in named, rather than in
exim. In the DNS server that sits on the outer firewall, the various
spam sites are declared as bogus sites thru the bogusns directive.
Then when mail comes in, the sender can't be verified regardless of
domain du jour.

The only problem encountered with this, is that the spam generator
will then feed the email to an offsite MX host since we won't take
the mail. The MX host will then happily try to forward the mail
onward, causing the mail to be again rejected. It tends to put a
lot of log entries in the rejectlog. That stops when somebody looks
at the rejectlog, and drops the actual domain du jour into the
hard site reject list.

It does work very effectively. The spam stays out. And the site
reject list only gets entries when something tries to come thru.

--
Randall Raemon
rlr@???