Re: Interpreting rejectlog "recipients from..." entries.

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Dan Birchall
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: Interpreting rejectlog "recipients from..." entries.
On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Dan Birchall wrote:

> Philip had indicated he thought sender_host_reject_recipients
> would be responsible; the /usr/exim/lists/spam_domains (which
> is being partial-lsearched) is as follows:
>
> *.cyberpromo.com
> *.nevwest.com
> *.iemmc.org
> *.submitking.com
> *.shoppingplanet.com
> *.quantcom.com
> *.savetrees.com
> *.cybermirror1.com
> *.enterprise.net

Ah. I know what the explanation is. Several of the IP addresses you have
rejected cannot be reverse looked up:

204.137.220.12 PTR record not found, try again

for example. Exim currently rejects the call if it cannot find out the
host's name by reverse lookup (so as to match it against your
spam_domains) when the host name is given with a wildcard.

There have been some complaints about this, and I am going to provide a
way of loosening the restriction, but if you were to relax it on your
system, then all anybody in *.cyberpromo.com has to do to get past your
block is simply to remove their reverse registration.