Re: Interpreting rejectlog "recipients from..." entries.

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Dan Birchall
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: Interpreting rejectlog "recipients from..." entries.

djb@??? said:
} sender_net_accept_relay = "204.249.49.0/204.249.50.0"
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^

This part should be a netmask - I'd say that *should* be a syntax error,
and almost certainly doesn't mean what you think.
[Philip - if this is accepted can the code be tightened to reject it]

djb@??? said:
} I've already ruled out the spam_domains and spam_networks lists as
} being to blame, so I'm guessing that one of two things is happening.

If you have produced network lines in your spam_networks in the form used
above then I would expect very strange things to happen. I think this
really might be where your problem lies.

The networks entries are a set of colon separated entries.  Each entry
consists of either (ignoring IPV6 stuff):-
    <IP Address>
    <Network/IP Address> / <dotted quad network mask>
    <Network/IP Address> / <integer network width>

A dotted quad network mask should look like this
    255.255.255.0

If you converted to binary then all the 1's should be at the top end, all
the zeros at the low end, never a mixture of ones and zeroes.

The integer network width is an int from 0 to 32 inclusive. The netmask
give above equates to a width of 24.

    Nigel.

--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@???   -  Systems Software Engineer ]
[ Tel : +44 113 251 6012                   Fax : +44 113 224 0003 ]