Re: potential security hole(s) in 1.71

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: T. William Wells
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: potential security hole(s) in 1.71
On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, T. William Wells wrote:

> > >      2) exim copies, using strcpy, the results of gethostbyaddr,
> > >     in at least one place. An immediate attack method is to
> > >     create a long HELO line and a tailored DNS record to
> > >     create overruns.

> > I can't find this code. There is only one call to gethostbyaddr() in
> > exim (well, some different versions for IPv4 and IPv6), and afterwards,
> > the code (version 1.71) reads
>
> Right. But the function that contains it is called in a few
> places. The one that bothered me was in the HELO processing, where
> you substituted the address found (ultimately) by gethostbyname
> for the one on the HELO line.

You are right. I should and will fix that. However, fortuitously, it is
safe because there are over 500 bytes available, and names returned by
the DNS are limited to 255. RFC 1034 says:

To simplify implementations, the total number of octets that represent a
domain name (i.e., the sum of all label octets and label lengths) is
limited to 255.

Of course, Exim should not rely on that. Mea culpa.