Exim and .forward

Author: Keith Russell
To: exim-users
Subject: Exim and .forward
I have been subscribed to this mailing list for about 2 1/2 weeks,
familiarizing myself with the list before posting my question. The list
seems to be heavy with exim administrators. I am not an administrator,
only a user, but with the expertise on this list I am confident that
someone will be able to answer my question.

I have been trying to set up a .forward file to pass my messages to
procmail, as described in the Filtering Mail FAQ, but the .forward
syntax appears to be different for exim than for sendmail, and I have
been totally unsuccessful. Based on the above-mentioned FAQ and the
Procmail FAQ, I have tried all the following variations (and variations
of the variations!):

"|exec /usr/local/bin/procmail #keithr"
"|exec /usr/local/bin/procmail USER=keithr"
"|IFS=' ';exec /usr/local/bin/procmail #keithr"
"|IFS=' ';exec /usr/local/bin/procmail USER=keithr"
"|/usr/local/bin/procmail #keithr"
"|IFS=' '&&p=/usr/local/bin/procmail&&test -f $p&&exec $p -f-||exit
75#moo"

Not only does the .forward result in my messages being filtered in the
way I expect, they seem to disappear into a dark hole, with no immediate
symptoms, but with (in some cases) an eventual bounce, hours--or
days--later. For example:

A message that you sent could not be delivered to all of its recipients.
The following address(es) failed:

(followed by:)
"|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75
#keithr"@mail.xmission.com:
    (generated from keithr@???):
unknown local-part ""|ifs=' ' && exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -f- ||
exit 75 #keithr"" in domain "mail.xmission.com"

(or:)
keithr@???:
generated |IFS=' ' && exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75
#keithr:
"IFS='" command not found for address_pipe transport

(or:)
keithr@???:
generated |exec /usr/local/bin/procmail #keithr:
"exec" command not found for address_pipe transport

(or:)
keithr@???:
generated |"IFS=' '&&p=/usr/local/bin/procmail&&test -f $p&&exec $p
-f-||exit 75#keithr:
"IFS=' '&&p=/usr/local/bin/procmail&&test -f $p&&exec $p -f-||exit
75#keithr" command not found for address_pipe transport

My ISP's tech support department were no help. Even though they have
procmail on the system, they said they don't use it, but instead use elm
filter, and suggested I use it.

If I were just sorting my mail into boxes, this would be okay, but my
ultimate goal is to convert Korean messages from ISO-2022 to EUC
encoding. I have instructions for doing this with procmail, but have no
idea how I would do it with elm or exim filters.

Can anyone tell me the proper syntax to use to accomplish this (safely)?
I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Thanks very much.

Keith Russell
keithr@???